June 12, 2008

DON'T FORGET TO REMEMBER DAD

When James IV of Scotland was a boy, he stood in arms against his father. All his manhood was one long bitter penance for that sin. In memory of it he wore under his robes an iron belt, and to that belt he added every year a new link, that his repentance might be heavier every year of his life.

—F.W. Farrar



If I were writing today about forgiveness, I would be quick to point out that the blood of Jesus Christ can wipe away the remorse James IV was going through and that iron belts long enough to wrap this planet twice over again could never bring him forgiveness. What I want to discuss with you, however, is that some regret often comes to those of us who have lost a father. No matter how “good” a kid, people say we were to our Dad, we could easily point out ways and things we could have done differently.



With this list I give you, I don’t mean to be adding a link to an iron belt but rather a learning experience we could all profit from. I would like to list some things you could do to remember your dad.



1. I would write more often. I’ve talked to people who have declared bankruptcy. Explanations have been given as to why they went bankrupt such as over-extended credit, business gambles that went sour, expectations from business partners that were not fulfilled, and so on. I have never heard anyone say they became financially unstable from the purchase of 34-cent stamps. It doesn’t take much money, and it doesn’t take much time—so write dad.



2. I would call for more casual conversation. So often I found myself calling Dad only for advice. Although I did it from time to time, I wish there were more times I called just to say “Hello, you were in my thoughts” or “I miss you.”



3. I would never miss or be late in remembering a Father’s Day, birthday, anniversary, or any other occasion that was special to him. I've spent the last 12 years away from my dad. I miss him very much. I pray he remembers how much his son loves him while serving the Lord here in England.

No comments: